Show structure

Title:

Transfer arystokracji a ewolucja śląskiego "herrenstand" w pierwszej połowie XVIII w. = Transfer of aristocracy and the evolution of the Silesian "herrenstand" in the first half of the 18th century

Group publication title:

Studia Zachodnie, 10

Creator:

Kuczer, Jarosław

Subject and Keywords:

Śląsk - 18 w. ; arystokracja

Abstract:

The transfer of upper-class culture into Silesia in the first decades of the 18th century followed the awards of nobility and grants of land by the emperor. That long-term process, that was started as early as in the first decades of the 17th century, gathered momenturn after the Czech opposition had been crushed in 1620 and got even stronger with the establishment of the "Supervisory Agency" (Oberamt) in Breslau in 1629, which manifested the emperor's strife for absolute power. ; Silesia saw the arrival of a large group of ethnically and geographically foreign gentry, mostly homogenous with regard to religion, whose mission was to spread Catholicism on behalf of the stare. The titles and land grants were bestowed on Outstanding individuals who had served the emperor well: diplomats, high court officials, emperor's army commanders. ; The continuing estate rotation helped develop - in a cultural sense - an almost permanent link with the world of the "Old Reich", which brought about a change in the structure of the, essentially, Czech "herrenstand". Almost naturally, the increase in the number of titular gentry caused the escalation of the search for specific political space suitable for self-fulfilment. As a result, this social group practically took over the administration of hereditary duchies in the first place (including the duchies of Glogau, Jauer-Schweidnitz, and Oppeln-Ratibor).

Publisher:

Zielona Góra: Oficyna Wydawnicza Uniwersytetu Zielonogórskiego

Contributor:

Dolański, Dariusz (1966 - ) - red.

Date:

2008

Resource Type:

artykuł

Format:

application/pdf

Pages:

53-67

Source:

Studia Zachodnie, tom 10

Language:

pol

Rights:

Biblioteka Uniwersytetu Zielonogórskiego

Oryginal Object Identifier:

P-1950/II